A Tale of Two (Happy) Accidents for PP 246
I love the Striped Scallop Thinlits Die. And when I say “love,” I mean, looooooove. You may have already guessed this, since I’ve used it for several projects posted on this blog: here, here and here.
When I saw the latest Paper Players Sketch Challenge, PP #246 from Anne Marie, I knew I wanted to use the Striped Scallop Thinlits Die for the center shape across the card.
This is the sketch:
I also knew I wanted to use my new favorite tool, the Color Coach (on the retiring list for $7.48!) to choose a color combination. I chose the color combination of Basic Black, Smoky Slate and Tempting Turquoise, mainly because I hadn’t yet used Smoky Slate.
First happy accident: I thought I would trim the Bermuda Bay scalloped diecut to three rows of scallops and use the inserts from the Smoky Slate to fill in the negative space. But I made a mistake in trimming the end pieces and cut my card base. I was too frustrated to start over, so I played with three rows of each diecut until I happened upon this arrangement. I liked it so much I can already see myself using it again. And,this is one of many other cool arrangements you can make by varying the rows, orientation and placement. If you have this die, try it! If you don’t, get it! 😀
Second happy accident: When I stamped my flower in Tempting Turquoise, I realized it didn’t match my scallop. That’s when I noticed I had mistakenly grabbed a piece of Bermuda Bay card stock to make my scallop. Bermuda Bay is another color I hadn’t used before, so I decided to keep it. I broke open my never-used Bermuda Bay ink pad and stamped three flowers with the plan of cutting layers to add dimension. I thought they needed a little more pizazz, so I stamped over the flowers with my Metallic Silver Encore ink to give them a little shimmer (not very noticeable in this photo). I used the same ink for the sentiment from the Flower Patch stamp set.
The silver ink over the Bermuda Bay flower changed the color to where it didn’t match the scallop die anymore, and at first I wasn’t sure I was happy with it not matching. But, I decided to ignore my OCD for once and left it as is.
I finished the card off with four Smoky Slate Candy Dots — three in the center strip and one in the center of the flower.
Here’s to happy accidents and here’s what I used to make this card: